Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Man Receives 9-Year Sentence for Kings Plaza Mall Sneaker Store Shooting

Timothy Briggs plead guilty to charges related to a shooting at Kings Plaza Mall on Jan. 31.
Kings Plaza Mall. Photo: Google Maps.

A 20-year-old Bronx man will serve nine years in prison after pleading guilty to charges that stem from a shooting at the Kings Plaza Mall in late last January.

“This defendant shot two teenagers and terrorized everyone around when he opened fire on a group in a crowded mall store," said Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez in a press release.

Timothy Briggs of Claremont Village was sentenced to nine years by Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Danny Chun on Jan. 10, 2023.

Briggs pled guilty to second-degree attempted murder and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon on Nov. 30, 2022.

"We have no tolerance for violence and this sentence sends a clear message that gun crime in Brooklyn will be met with serious consequences,” Gonzalez said.

The guilty plea stems from a shooting at Laced Up sneakers in Kings Plaza Mall at 2:30pm last Jan. 31.

Investigation details describe Briggs and two co-defendants, Jaheim Covington (20) and Omarion Harvey (19), getting into an argument with six teenagers. The defendant then pulled out a 40-caliber handgun and fired as many as 10 times at the teenagers.

The shots struck a 14-year-old and 16-year-old boy in the leg. Both victims were sent to the hospital where they received treatment and were released.

Following the shooting, the defendant and two co-defendants fled the mall before being apprehended a few blocks away.

Police recovered two guns at the scene, including the 40-caliber handgun fired by the defendant. The incident was also captured on video surveillance.

Briggs will also serve a concurrent three-and-a-half-year sentence for second-degree criminal possession of a weapon. The concurrent sentence is from a separate charge. He will also be subject to five years of post-release supervision.

Co-defendants, Covington and Harvey, have both pleaded not guilty in connection with the shooting and are awaiting trial.

The case was prosecuted by senior assistant district attorney Edward Kerins, of the district attorney’s Violent Criminal Enterprises Bureau, under the supervision of assistant district attorney Alfred Deingeniis, bureau chief.

For more information, click here.