Skip to content
Join our Newsletter

Food Bank for NYC Offers Free Tax Prep to Low-Income Brooklynites

The service is available to families who earned $54,000 or less and individuals who earned $30,000 or less.

If you haven't filed your taxes yet and need help before tax day on Monday, April 15, the Food Bank for New York City is providing low-income New Yorkers with free, full-service tax preparation in Bedford Stuyvesant and Downtown Brooklyn.

The program offers individuals and families the chance to access their full tax credits and refunds, which provide an important boost for many without the added burden of paying for preparation services. This includes the Earned Income Tax Credit, which alone can be worth up to $8,463 for families.

"We're here to help New Yorkers with limited income save money on filing their taxes and get the maximum refund they are entitled to, said Zac Hall, vice president of programs at Food Bank For NYC. "Food Bank For New York City is proud to have helped tens of thousands of New Yorkers since 2002. In a place as expensive as New York City, low-income families need every resource to pay their bills and put food on the table."

Families that earned $54,000 or less with dependents and individuals who earned $30,000 or less with no dependents are eligible to receive the services.

The free Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites are run by trained professional tax preparers, who complete the full tax return during visits. Centers also offer bilingual tax assistance for non-English speakers, including immigrants without a Social Security Number. In these cases, staff will help them secure an ITN so they can pay their taxes.

Eligible participants must schedule an appointment by either calling the center or visiting Please bring the following documents to your appointment:

A photo ID for you and your spouse (if filing a joint return). If you have a state ID or driver's license, you must have it with you when filing, or your tax return may be delayed.

  • Social Security cards* (originals or copies) or ITIN (originals or copies) for you and anyone you are claiming on your tax return; or a letter from the Social Security Administration.
  • If you are claiming childcare expenses, the amount you paid and the childcare agency's ID, or the name and Social Security Number of the childcare provider.
  • A sample check or a bank statement with the routing and account number, if you have a savings or checking account for direct deposit.
  • Form 1098-T if you paid tuition for post-high school education.
  • If you are filing a joint return, both you and your spouse must be present.
  • W-2s for all jobs you held in the prior year and all 1099 forms paid in cash or personal checks. You must also know your total income and deductible expenses for the year.
  • If you purchased health insurance through the marketplace and were eligible for the premium tax credit, please bring form 1095-A.
  •  If you are a victim of identity theft, bring your IP-PIN (Individual Protection- Personal Identification Number) assigned by the IRS.
  • Any other tax-related information you may have received.

In Central Brooklyn, the service is available at two locations: 

Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation

When: Monday — Thursday, 5:30pm to 9:30pm |  Saturday and Sunday,  10:00am to 5:00pm

Where: 1360 Fulton Street, Brooklyn, NY 11216

Food Bank For New York City (Downtown Brooklyn) 

When: Monday, Wednesday and Thursday, 12:00pm to 7:00pm | Saturday,  9:00am to 4:00pm

Where: 356 Fulton Street, Second Floor, Brooklyn, NY 11201