As a parent in Brooklyn, finding the right middle school for your child can be a daunting task. Luckily, Brooklyn is home to many excellent public middle schools that offer a variety of unique programs to help students thrive. Here are the top five public middle schools in Brooklyn, along with a description of their special programs.
- M.S. 839 - Located on Caton Avenue, M.S. 839 is a highly regarded middle school that offers a rigorous academic program with a focus on social justice. It has an Outward Bound program, which allows students to explore the natural world around us. M.S. 839 also offers an extended day program that provides students with additional academic support and enrichment activities — like an on-site therapy dog.
- Brooklyn Collaborative Studies - Brooklyn Collaborative Studies, located in Carroll Gardens, is a small and personalized middle school that emphasizes project-based learning and community service. It has an Outward Bound program, which allows students to explore the natural world around us. Brooklyn Collaborative Studies also offers a unique advisory program that provides students with individualized support and guidance.
- M.S. 51 - M.S. 51, located in Park Slope, is a large and diverse middle school that offers a wide range of academic programs and extracurricular activities, ranging from coding to cooking. The school has a highly regarded music program, which includes a jazz band and an orchestra. M.S. 51 also offers ELA.
- I.S. 187 - Located in Borough Park, I.S. 187 is a highly academic middle school that offers a specialized program in mathematics and science. The school has partnerships with local universities and research institutions, which allows students to participate in hands-on science experiments and research projects. I.S. 187 also offers a gifted and talented program for students who excel academically.
- P.S./I.S. 30 - P.S./I.S. 30, located in Bay Ridge, is a unique middle school that offers a bilingual program in English and Mandarin Chinese. The school has a partnership with a school in China, which allows students to participate in cultural exchanges and immersion programs. P.S./I.S. 30 also offers a wide range of extracurricular activities, including robotics, theater and sports.
Brooklyn is home to many excellent public middle schools that offer unique programs to help students thrive. Whether your child is interested in social justice, marine science or bilingual education, there is a middle school in Brooklyn that can meet their needs. By doing your research and visiting schools in person, you can find the right middle school for your child and set them on a path to success.