Cumbe, the center for African Diaspora dance, invites community members to join in an immersive dance experience and learn about the different styles of dance from their instructors.
Community members across all income levels are invited to join the donation-based classes, with a suggested donation of $5-$35. The "Dance for Joy!" classes are supported by the New York City Council and will run from September 25, through December 3.
At the end of the season, students can participate in the "Fet Iajwa Student Showcase" at The Billie Holiday Theatre on December 4, followed by a holiday party at the Cumbe studio.
Cumbe is on a mission to inspire people in the community to connect with their true sense of self and utilize the power of African Diaspora dance and culture for a sense of energy, self-expression and fitness.
The 10-Session Workshops:
- Sundays, 2:15pm-3:45pm, Dunham Jazz
- Mondays, 6:30pm-8:00pm, Haitian
- Tuesdays, 6:30pm-8:00pm, West African Dance
- Tuesdays, 7:00pm-8:30pm, Afro-Fusion
- Wednesdays, 7:30pm-9:00pm, Samba and Brazilian
- Thursdays, 6:30pm-8:00pm, West African Drumming
- Thursdays, 7:00pm-8:30pm, Chicago Style Steppin’
- Fridays, 7:00pm-8:30pm, Batalá Brazilian Drumming
Click here for more information and to sign up for classes.