Dear Brooklyn Reader,
Great News! Your favorite daily online local news-zine for Central Brooklyn residents has gotten a facelift!
They say every seven years or so, we all grow an entirely new skin. Well, in cyber-time, that’s equivalent to about once every 24 months!
Since our launch in December 2013, the Brooklyn Reader has grown at lightening speed. We’ve brought you more than 1,900 stories surrounding local, city and state government; updates on new business openings; profiles on some of our amazing local residents; arts and culture reviews; restaurant reviews; police and fire updates; and event listings of the latest goings-on. And all of this is delivered to you in a newsletter, six days a week, at 7:00am!
We are tremendously grateful to have partnered with some of the most turn-key community development and cultural institutions in Central Brooklyn, all of which have helped fuel the site with the best content and the resources to grow, including Bedford-Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation, The Bedford YMCA, The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, BRIC, The Brooklyn Navy Yard, and The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, just to name a few!
We are enormously proud to say that some of the most respected and influential leaders in our community have stepped up to the plate to contribute as writers their industry insight and knowledge, including City Councilmembers Robert Cornegy, Jr., and Laurie Cumbo; Dr. Karen Aletha Maybank, associate commissioner at the Center for Health Equity, New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; Rabbi Yaacov Behrman; Regine Romaine, founder of the Haiti Cultural Exchange, and many many more!
But what we are most excited and humbled by are the many “Local Voices” that have joined the conversation. In just a little over a year, we’ve had more than 50 local residents contribute blog content on everything, from tips for natural hair care, to curbing your pets, to community policing, to S.T.E.M. programs for children, to gentrification, to how to fight the “winter blues.” Our local voices are highly valued, not only because they bring a critical, hyper-local point of view to the site’s overall discourse, but also because it signals to the community that this is your platform to share, engage, inform and have fun!
The new site will continue to bring all of the great content you have come to look forward to, but it has added a few new features:
- We are now covering the neighborhood of Brownsville/East New York! You will find this item added in the menu under neighborhoods!
- Brooklyn Shine! 2-3 times a week, we will provide a quick profile on the homepage of our amazing residents—where they’re from, what they do, and what’s their favorite Brooklyn haunt!
- A Blogger’s Corner. Now, in addition to our wonderful local voices, we are bringing on some of the best local bloggers—that is bloggers that have their own sites who will share their wonderful content with us. Now you can get all the most valuable insight from some of the most successful web-preneurs in the business, all in one place!
- In More Brooklyn News…! In this section (right sidebar), we will hand-pick more Brooklyn curated content from other highly valued news sources. Again, so we can become your one-stop-shop for the most relevant and most valuable news, customized to your needs.
- Events calendar. Below the fold and in the upper-right sidebar, you will see two places where you can learn about the area’s latest events. Our new calendar let’s YOU share what you have going on with our thousands of daily readers. Each week, we will choose 6 upcoming events to highlight in our events photo slideshow. Add your event NOW… it could be you highlighted next!
- Most Popular Stories. We have added this category next to “Latest News,” because we all live busy lives. We know you may not always get a chance to check in every, single day. Now, you will never have to worry about that hot story you missed, because we’ll always have them listed for you as soon as you log on.
- Our daily Newsletter will now be delivered to you seven days a week, versus six. We have added Sundays, where we will do a “Week in Review” to catch you up on the most-important and most popular stories that you might have missed for the week.
- Through the Healthy Start Community Action Network, we will soon be offering expectant parents and new parents a bevy of great new information on getting your new baby a healthy and promising start in this community! This information is brought to you across of network of 12 different health and parenting organizations across Central Brooklyn. Stay tuned!
- Over the summer of 2015, we will be expanding into East Flatush, and by Christmas 2015, you can expect to find us bringing you the latest from Prospect Heights/Lefferts Gardens.
And last but not least, we want to say thank you for joining us and sharing us with your friends. At this time, we would like to invite you into the conversation! The Brooklyn Reader is all about you, the resident, the Brooklynite, so join us, and represent! As Brooklyn continues to emerge front and center on the world stage, all eyes are on you! Add your voice, unique flavor, opinions, insights. Or add a comment! This is your platform. As Brooklyn shines, you shine. So take the microphone… and shine!
Feel free to send all advertising, reporting, contributing, blogging and interning inquiries to: [email protected].