Brooklyn is known for its vibrant street life and what better way to experience it than through its open streets. Here are the top 5 open streets in Brooklyn that you should definitely check out:
- Tompkins Avenue Open Street - Every Sunday from June to October, Tompkins Avenue in Bed-Stuy is closed to traffic from Hancock Street to Putnam Avenue for the open street. This open street is a celebration of the neighborhood's African-American culture and heritage, with live music, dance performances and local vendors selling food and crafts.
- Park Slope 5th Ave Open Street - This open street stretches from Bergen Street to 8th Street on 5th Avenue in Park Slope. On weekends, the street is closed to traffic and becomes a pedestrian oasis, where you can enjoy outdoor dining, shopping and strolling. The unique feature of this open street is the variety of restaurants and bars offering outdoor seating and special deals.
- Montague Street Open Street - Located in the heart of Brooklyn Heights, Montague Street is closed to traffic between Hicks Street and Cadman Plaza West. This open street is perfect for a leisurely stroll or a bike ride, with benches along the way where you can relax and take in the view of brownstones and tree-lined streets. The unique feature of this open street is the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, offering breathtaking views of the Manhattan skyline and the Brooklyn Bridge.
- Vanderbilt Ave Open Street - This open street in Prospect Heights runs from St. Marks Avenue to Bergen Street, providing a safe and spacious place for pedestrians and cyclists to enjoy. The unique feature of this open street is the community-led programming, including live music, art exhibits, and outdoor fitness classes.
- Berry Street Open Street - Located in the heart of Williamsburg, Berry Street is closed to traffic from Broadway to North 15th Street. This open street is a hub of activity, with outdoor seating for restaurants and bars, local vendors selling handmade goods, and street performers entertaining the crowds. The unique feature of this open street is the vibrant street art that adorns the buildings along the way.
These top 5 open streets in Brooklyn offer a unique opportunity to experience the vibrant street life of the borough. Whether you're looking for outdoor dining, community programming, or cultural celebrations, these open streets have something for everyone.