According to the Associated Press, as of March 3, 2020, worldwide, more than 92,000 people have been sickened by Covid-19 or the coronavirus, and 3,100 have died. However, more than half of those infected have already recovered, and 90 percent of those infected may or may not show symptoms but will not require hospitalization.
After all, like the common flu, it is a virus. And like the common flu, the majority will build antibodies and get over it.
The U.S. surgeon general Jerome Adams urged calm: “caution, preparedness, but not panic.”
Two important ways to protect and prepare yourself during the spread of Covid-19 is regular and thorough handwashing/sanitizing, as well as wearing an antiviral protective mask while in crowded public spaces.
For New Yorkers, “crowded public spaces” means pretty much as soon as you step out your front door.
With the global face mask shortage, here is a simple, do-it-yourself way to make two, single-use face masks for you and your family members. The method was developed by the University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital.
According to the Shenzhen Hospital, the method, in the absence of a mask, does achieve 90 percent of the filtering effectiveness of surgical masks.
Elementary schools can even make it as a classroom project.
- 2 sheets of paper towels
- 1 sheet of Kleenex (tissue paper)
- 4 feet of elastic string
- Masking tape
- 2 Plastic-coated wires
- A hole puncher
- Double up the two paper towels (place one over the other).
- Place the tissue paper on top of the paper towels to form 3 layers, and then cut in half to form two long rectangles
- Tape shut the short ends of the two rectangle portions by wrapping tape from front to back.
- Punch two holes on both ends of the taped sides
- Tape the plastic-coated wire to the paper towel side, at the bottom quarter center of the rectangle. (This part will be used to adjust the mask over the nose)
- Cut the elastic string into 8 even parts (6 inches each)
- Tie the strings through the four holes holes, adjusting the knots to fit around ear
- Mask is worn across face secured with top and bottom elastic bands (two each) onto ear.
Go here, for a DIY way to make your own hand sanitizer.
This coverage of coronavirus is a special to BK Reader. We are asking for your help in keeping our coverage and database current with any helpful references and news tips. Please send all tips to [email protected]. With your help, Brooklyn will emerge stronger and more unified as a borough. Thank you.