If you love sweet potatoes, then this is a vegan spin on a classic seasonal dish that you must try!
It’s dairy-free, gluten-free yet naturally sweet and buttery thanks to vegan butter or coconut oil. For a heart-healthier option, you can swap out half the vegan butter for virgin coconut oil which will still add a lovely butter flavor.
The casserole is topped with a gluten-free crunchy nut crumble, made of rolled oats and savory pecans, and tastes just like an oatmeal cookie. Aromas like vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg beautifully complement the sweet potatoes and will make the dish a sure hit this holiday season!
Sweet Potato Crumble Casserole, serves 12
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
For the sweet potato mash:
- 4 1/2 to 5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 to 5 large)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain salt, or to taste
For the Crunchy Nut Crumble:
- 1 cup rolled oats (use certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 1/3 cups pecan halves, chopped
- 1/3 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Peel and roughly chop sweet potatoes into large chunks. Place into a large pot and cover with water. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, and gently boil for 10 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 2 1/2-quart (10-cup) casserole dish and set aside.
- Prepare the crumble topping: Pulse the oats in a food processor until coarsely chopped. In a medium bowl, stir together the chopped pecans, oats, almond meal/flour, cinnamon, and salt. Pour on melted coconut oil, melted butter, and maple syrup. Stir until combined.
- Once cooked and drained, place sweet potatoes into a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes with the butter and coconut oil until smooth. Now, stir in the maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Adjust to taste if desired. Spoon into casserole dish and smooth out.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping all over the sweet potato mixture, evenly.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 16 to 23 minutes, until the dish is hot throughout. Plate and serve immediately with a pat of vegan butter or coconut oil.
Recipe from Oh She Glows!