‘Tis the season to be a jolly baker — even if you are not oven-tested. Here is a sure-proof recipe that is quick and easy to follow and will reward you with sweet, almond-coconut goodness. And without the use of heavier ingredients like butter and cream, it’s quite light and healthy without comprising taste!
Almond Snowballs, Yields 9 – 18 pieces
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 12 min
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch coarse salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups, about 6 ounces, shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon grated or ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 9 candied red cherries, halved
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and salt to soft peaks, then add sugar and beat again until peaks are stiff. Beat in almond flavoring. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in half of the coconut. Sprinkle in the nutmeg and flour, stir, then fold in the remaining coconut.
- Using a melon baller or other small scoop, or working with 2 spoons, form 9 “snowballs” a couple of inches apart on each of 2 cookie sheets. Bake snowballs 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Remove from oven and garnish each snowball with half a cherry and a couple of slivered almonds. Transfer to a rack or serving plate to cool.