When it comes to wine and beer, who’s the best? The East or the West?
Sunday night was a chance for Brooklyn residents to weigh in at the second annual Judgement of Brooklyn Beer and Wine Festival where the East Coast went head-to-head against the West Coast in a contest of who does it best?
The event was hosted by the Keg & Cork, the guys behind the Bed-Vyne collective, and this year’s event took place at the Whythe Hotel in Williamsburg.
In the wine category, participants sampled everything from Sauvignon Blancs to Rieslings to Chardonnays to Cabernets and Sparklings, where each category had a representative product from the West (California, Washington, Oregon and New Mexico) and the East (New York, New York and New York).
In the beer category, participants sampled Lagers, Ales, Stouts and Ipas represented by California, Colorado, Oregon and Missouri in the West, versus Connecticut, Massachusetts, Michigan and New York in the East.
By all accounts, folks were in amazing spirits (pun intended), with the opportunity to judge and not be judged as they imbibed their way through an incredible lineup of beer and wine!
So… is the East a beast, or is the West the best? What’s your guess? Votes are still being tallied, but check back into this post in 48 hours to find out!
In the meantime, enjoy the pics!
UPDATE: 10/5/15, 5:07pm: This just in… the results of the wine competition (winners in bold) have been tabulated, and it looks like the West has won!
- East – Shinn Estates Vineyards 2014 – First Fruit
- West – Scholeum Project 2014 – The Prince in His Caves
- East – Fox Run 2013 – Dry Riesling
- West – Dunham Cellars 2013 – Lewis Vineyard
- East – Paumanok Vineyards 2014 – Chenin Blanc
- West – Lo-Fi Wine Company 2013 – Jurassic Park Vineyard
- East – Red Hook Winery 2012 – Gristina
- West – Jax Vineyards 2013 – Y3
- East – Hearts & Hands 2012 – Pinot Noir
- West – Iota Cellars 2011 – Sandberg Vineyard
- East – Bedell Cellars 2013 Cabernet Franc
- West – Lo-Fi Wine Company 2014 Cabernet Franc
- East – Red Hook Winery 2013 – The Guardian Meritage
- West – Von Strasser 2012 – Diamond Mountain District
- East – Damiani Wine Cellars 2010
- West – Gruet Winery ‘Blanc de Noir’ NV
Stay tuned for the results of the beer competition…
UPDATE 10/5/15, 5:20pm: It looks like the results of beer have been counted, and, once again, the West is the best!
- East – Brooklyn Lager
- West – Anchor California Lager
- East – Sixpoint Pound4Pound
- West – Oskar Blue Dale’s Pale Ale
- East – Two Roads No Limits Hefeweizen
- West – Sierra Nevada Kellerweiss
- East – Brooklyn Brewery Sorachi Ace
- West – Logsdon Farmhouse Ales Seizoen Bretta
- East – Sam Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin
- West – Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
- East – Bell’s Kalamazoo Stout
- West – Rogue Chocolate Stout
- East – Ithaca Flower Power
- West – Green Flash West Coast IPA
- East – Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail
- West – Knee Deep Simtra 3X IPA