1. Alternate Side Parking (Street Cleaning) regulations are suspended for snow removal on Monday, February 2, 2015.
2. New York City Public Schools will be open on Monday, February 2
3. Weather: Freezing temperatures most of the week with snow showers expected on Monday and Thursday and a high of up to 42 on Wednesday.
4. Community Board 3, representing the neighborhood of Bedford-Stuyvesant, will hold its monthly board meeting on Monday, February 2, 7:00pm, basement level of Restoration Plaza, 1368 Fulton Street
5. At the Brooklyn Historical Society this week for Black History Month, 128 Pierrepont Street, Brooklyn, NY
Monday, February 2, 6:30pm; Movie Mondays: Making Waves in Film, FREE
William Greaves’ “Symbiopsychotaxiplasm Take One”
Actor Steve Buscemi introduces this groundbreaking 1968 work by legendary African-American filmmaker William Greaves, which blends fiction and documentary into an experimental landmark that remains one of the most insightful deconstructions of filmmaking to date. A post-screening discussion with Richard Brody of The New Yorker and Shola Lynch, Curator at the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, follows. Filmmaker Su Friedrich moderates. “Symbiopsychotaxiplasm” screening courtesy of Janus Films.
Thursday, February 5, 6:30pm; Screening and Discussion with Jelani Cobb: The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross, FREE
View the final episode of this PBS series covering the years from 1968 to 2013. Acclaimed journalist and writer Jelani Cobb, who has written about race for The New Yorker and The New York Times, leads the discussion. Cobb is the Director of Africana Studies at the University of Connecticut.
6. On Thursday, February 5, at 6pm, non-profit directors and budget officers are invited to Brooklyn Borough Hall to learn how to apply for capital funding for Fiscal Year 2016. To RSVP, call 718-802-8101. For more information, click here.
7. Also on Thursday, February 7, 6:30pm at Bethany United Methodist Church, 1208 St. John’s Pl., come participate in a workshop on how to apply successfully for city subsidized affordable housing.