On Thursday, May 1, at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, EmblemHealth honored six local nonprofit organizations serving residents of Brooklyn at the “Commitment to Care Lecture & Award Series.”
The awards ceremony was the sixth installment of the series in New York City and the first held in Brooklyn and recognized nonprofit organizations that exemplify a commitment to providing care, services and support to the residents of New York City.
Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce President Carlos Scissura was the event’s host. Honorees included:
1. Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation: Commitment to Care Award For Bringing Economic Opportunity and Community Development to Brooklyn. Tracey Capers, Executive Vice President for Programs accepted the award on behalf of Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation.
2. CAMBA: Commitment to Care Award For Securing Affordable Housing and Promoting Education and Youth Development. Joanne Oplustil, President and Chief Executive Officer and Marjorie Momplaisir-Ellis, Program Director accepted the award on behalf of the CAMBA.
3. Haitian-American Community Coalition – Commitment to Care Award For Empowering the Haitian and Caribbean Communities and Advocating for Health Education and Support Services. Dr. Andre K. Peck, Executive Director, accepted the award on behalf of Haitian-American Community Coalition.
4. Diaspora Community Services: Commitment to Care Award For Strengthening Families and Individual’s Resolve to Access Health and Supportive Programs. Nadine Juste-Beckles, Board Member, accepted the award on behalf of Diaspora Community Services.
5. Evelyn Douglin Center for Serving People in Need: Commitment to Care Award For Enhancing the Quality of Life for Persons with Developmental Disabilities. Charles A. Archer, Esq, Chief Executive Officer, accepted the Award on behalf of Evelyn Douglin Center for Serving People in Need.
6. Brownsville Multi-Service Family Health Center: Commitment to Care Award For Initializing a Wellness Revolution in Central Brooklyn. Harvey Lawrence, President and Chief Executive Officer accepted the award on behalf of Brownsville Multi-Service Family Health Center.
“EmblemHealth is very proud to honor and recognize our fellow New Yorkers. We have the chance to shine a spotlight on organizations that are making a difference and a positive impact in their communities,” said Dave Mahder, EmblemHealth Vice President of Marketing and Communications and the event’s master of ceremonies.
“Their unwavering commitment to making their communities healthier and better is an inspiration.”